- What I did:
- taught three algorithms (k-means clustering, PCA and t-SNE) to over 300 people
- traveled to some amazing Python conferences
- Things I learnt:
- how to deliver technical talks
- the power of visualizations in developing intuition
- unexpected use-cases for simple models
- When was this?
- Between September 2018 and February 2019
In 2018 and 2019, I had the chance to speak at 3 Python conferences in 3 continents - in Johannesburg, Washington D.C., and Manipal, India.
Through multiple iterations of the talk, I learnt how to intuitively teach technical topics. The amazing culture of learning, sharing, and coding I saw at these conferences also made me a sworn fan of FOSS (Free Open Source Software). Props to the Python, PyCon and PyData communities at large for their steps taken for inclusiveness.
Here’s](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QMFNg7tjbk) the video from PyData DC:
Resources for the coding walkthrough can be found here. The idea behind the demo was to extract insights from the Netflix movie database - my own take on the popular Netflix Challenge from back in the day.